The big coconut cake is an essential dessert of Martinique. It is not known when it was first prepared but today it has fully integrated the list of cakes in the pastry shops of the island. It is one of the five coconut cakes with the Amour caché, the Robinson, the macaroon or the Mont-Blanc that we present to you on our site.
For 6 servings:
- 600 gr of flour
- 185 gr of sugar
- 80 cl of water
- 180 gr of butter
- 1 sachet of baking powder
- 200 gr of coconut jam
- Grated cinnamon
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 large spoons of milk
- Prepare your coconut jam according to the recipe for coconut jam on AZ Martinique.
- In a container pour the water and sugar then add the lemon peel, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Cook over low heat in order to obtain a syrup.
- Once the syrup is obtained, remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and butter until you get a compact dough.
- Add the grated cinnamon, ground nutmeg and vanilla.
- Grate the lemon over the mixture and stir.
- Take your syrup made at the beginning and pour it over.
- Stir to make a soft cake batter.
- Butter your mold.
- Pour a layer of cake then a layer of coconut jam and finally the second layer of cake.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (Thermostat 6).
- For the gilding of the cake, mix the egg yolk with the milk.
- Using a kitchen brush, distribute the gilding on the top of the cake dough.
- Put your cake in the oven for about 35-40 minutes.
- When your cake is golden at the top, poke it deeply with a knife, if the blade comes out clean, your cake is ready and you can remove it from the oven.
- After allowing it to cool, you can enjoy!