Cod being very present in the diet in the West Indies for several centuries, do not be surprised to find it in various forms and as ingredients of several local recipes. The cod chiquetaille presented here is a cold recipe mixed with lots of local spices. You can enjoy it after you have finished the recipe or include it in your sandwiches, on your toast or integrate it into a salad.
For 6 servings:
- 750 gr thick cod
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2 tomatoes (optional)
- Chilli (optional)
- Desalinate the cod by letting it soak in water 24 hours in advance and changing the water at least 4 times.
- In a skillet, grill the cod for 10 to 15 minutes using a tablespoon of oil.
- Peel and slice the onion.
- Chop the parsley.
- Dice the tomato and then the chili into small pieces.
- Remove the skin and bones from the cod.
- Squeeze the cod between your hands to extract as much water as possible.
- Crumble the cod and put it in a bowl.
- Add the onion, chili, parsley and tomato.
- Mix everything and put in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- It's ready !