Cucumber salad with saur herrings is a recipe found in different Caribbean islands. It is eaten by some for breakfast, others prefer it as a starter at lunch. Saur herring has a bit of the same history as cod in Martinique. It is a fish which arrived from the northern parts of America and which was preserved to arrive in the dishes of the slaves. Saur herring was not a noble recipe and the masters did not eat it. It was the slaves who transformed it and made it into recipes.
For 6 servings:
- 3 sour herring
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ shallot
- 1 lime (juice)
- 1 chili (if you like to eat spicy)
- In a container, rinse the herring then let it soak for 2 hours.
- Change the water then let it soak for a new hour (3 hours in total of soaking).
- Take a saucepan and fill it with water and then put it on the fire in order to obtain boiling water.
- Put your herring in boiling water and let it boil for a maximum of 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes of cooking, drain the herring and let it cool, then remove its bones and crumble it.
- In a salad bowl, grate your cucumber after having peeled it with a grater on the side of the larger holes.
- Peel then squeeze the garlic and shallot and slice the country onion and chilli.
- Split the lemon and squeeze its juice on the salad then pepper.
- Mix the crumbled herring with the cucumber salad.
- It's ready ! Your starter is ready to taste!