Sweet potato fries are an American tradition where the sweet potato is one of the most consumed tubers throughout the year while it is more exceptional on the plates in Europe. It is more recently that their sweet flavor has appealed to Europeans and it is now more common to be offered sweet potato fries in restaurants instead of the traditional potato fries. In Martinique, on the other hand, the sweet potato has always been very present in the diet and has been for several centuries. Another way to enjoy them is to cook your sweet potatoes in fries.
For 6 servings:
- 1.5 kg sweet potatoes or 8 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 liters of sunflower oil or olive oil (good for frying)
- Invert the oil into your deep fryer and turn it on to heat the oil.
- Wash your sweet potatoes thoroughly so that there is no more soil on them.
- You can choose whether or not to peel your sweet potatoes.
- Using a french fry cutter, cut the sweet potatoes lengthwise. If you are using a knife, it will take longer and you will have to wait before starting the electric fryer.
- When the oil is boiling, put the cut sweet potatoes in fries in the deep fryer.
- Once cooked, remove the fries from the fryer and place them on absorbent paper towels (paper towel) to soak up the oil as well as possible.
- Lightly salt your fries.
- Enjoy using your choice of ketchup, mustard or mayonnaise.