The sweet potato is one of the ground vegetables which was harvested mainly to feed the slaves, the masters not consuming fruits from the ground. Rich in vitamins, its sweet taste is very popular locally. Thus it is magnified in many local recipes such as sweet potato velouté. It is an ideal recipe for children or for dining where it is advisable to eat food already crushed to protect the digestive system during the night. The sweet potato velouté is extremely sweet.
For 6 servings:
- 3 large sweet potatoes or 8 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 20 cl of fresh cream
- 1 liter of water
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 chilli
- Peel and dice the potatoes and carrots.
- Peel then slice the onion.
- In a frying pan, melt the onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the vegetables and sear them for 5 minutes.
- Cover with water and cook for 20 minutes.
- Mix everything and add the cream.
- Season to taste.
- Serve in a hot or lukewarm glass.