Coconut macaroons in Martinique have nothing to do with the macaroons found in hexagonal France. These are small round dry cakes 10 to 15 cm in diameter with coconut. Some like them very dry while others prefer them to be slightly soft. If today they are present in all the pastries on the island, you can prepare them at home, they are very easy to prepare.
For 6 servings:
- 4 egg whites
- 250 gr of sugar
- 250 gr of grated coconut
- 5 drops of lemon juice
- 1 grated lemon zest
- Grated or powdered cinnamon
- Beat egg whites until stiff until stiff and no longer runny.
- Add the sugar and stir again.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon zest then the coconut.
- Put 3 pinches of finely grated cinnamon in the mixture and stir to distribute evenly in the dough.
- Place the dough on the greased baking sheet and roll it out to make small rounds of 10 cm and 15 cm in diameter.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (thermostat 6).
- Cook for 15 minutes, preferably in the lower oven.