The municipality of Anses d'Arlet is located on the Caribbean coast of Martinique and has as neighboring municipalities only Trois-Ilets to the north-east and Diamant to the south-east.

Les Anses d'Arlet owes its name to a historical reference. Indeed, at the beginning of colonization, two Caribbean brothers, Arlet and Pilote, would have abandoned their property and their land to the settlers of northern Martinique to take refuge in the South, following a treaty signed between them. As a result, Arlet settled in the region to which he gave his name.

Subsequently, Arlet abandoned his land to the French to retire even further south and the Jesuits settled there in 1665. They did not stay there long and gave way to the Capuchins. This region of the island was gradually populated, the inhabitants took care of the chapels for the use of missionaries.

The first chapel was dedicated to Saint Anthony of Padua. A baptism was celebrated there in 1671 by Father Simon. In 1673, this chapel was replaced by a church.

This church was destroyed in the years 1762-1763 by the English who set it on fire. It was a few years later that the inhabitants of the city rebuilt the houses and took care of the religious buildings. It was Henri Larcher, a wealthy inhabitant of the region who allowed it to get back on its feet. In his honor, it was placed under the patronage of Saint Henri.

It was not until 1676 that a parish was established in this part of the island. Religious services were performed by visiting priests. It was also on this date that one of them was in charge of Anses d'Arlet and Diamant.

8 years later, the two towns were set up as separate parishes but continued for many years to have a common minister who resided in Anses. By a decree issued on June 12, 1837, the then governor, Mackau, with the approval of the council, divided Martinique into 20 communes. This is how the town of the South was created which included Anses d'Arlet (place of residence of the mayor), Diamant and Sainte-Luce.

Sainte Luce was detached in 1848 and Le Diamant in 1862. This is how the town of Anses d'Arlet was created in 1862 following these different splits.

Anses d'Arlet is the birthplace of Alexandre Fructueux better known under the name of Alexandre Stellio or quite simply Stellio born in 1885 in the town, a famous clarinetist who popularized the biguine in Paris.


It is a municipality where fishing predominantly dominates as an economic activity. Tourism is also a notorious activity. Indeed, the city with 5 beaches is very popular with tourists and has allowed the development of activities related to the sector such as nautical activities or the development of restaurants.


The municipality's main districts are Anse Chaudière, Anse Dufour, Anse Noire, Batterie, Casin, Cassiere, Cocoyers, Coin Bananes, Coin des Peres, Flandrin, Fond Fleury, Gallochat, Grande Anse, l'Étang, la Plaine, Maleau, Mapou, Medélice, Morne Bigot, Morne Gentil, Morne Jacqueline, Morne Lacroix, Palmiste, Petite Anse, Séjourner and Zaire.

Places to visit in the municipaly

Places to visit

Habitation la Sucrerie of Anses d'Arlet is a beautiful house which dates from the late 18th century, it bears witness to the industrial history of the Hayot family.


Located just a few meters from Anse Noire, Anse Dufour is completely different. The sand is golden-white.

The water is calm and clear, but it can sometimes form large rolls. It is possible to see the turtle that seems to have taken up residence.

Anses d'Arlet beach of Anse d'Arlet is also called the "Beach Village". This is the most popular beach and one of the most popular on the island.

Grande Anse beach of Anse d'Arlet is one of the largest beaches in Martinique. It is also a very quiet beach sheltered from the waves. It is very sunny afternoon and a little windy.

Petite Anse beach lies a few kilometers south of the town of Anses d'Arlet. It is sandwiched between two hills.

It's a special little corner of the Anses d'Arlet commune. Its inhabitants live mainly from fishing.


The Dlo Ferré site is a charming little spot that is little known in Martinique but whose main treasure is its hot springs.