Case Pilote is a municipality in the North Caribbean of Martinique between Bellefontaine to its north, Morne Vert and Schœlcher.

Its name comes from a Caribbean chief who once lived on the territory of the commune. The French had named him Pilote. This chief particularly benevolent with the first French Jesuits wishing to settle in the area had attracted the sympathy of the colonists.

It is one of the oldest towns on the island after Saint Pierre and le Prêcheur. On the arrival of the French colonists, it was attributed to one of Pierre Belain d'Esnambuc's lieutenants called Lestiboudois de la Vallée. It was to him that Jean Dupont, the first governor of the island, had entrusted the provisional administration of the colony.

Between 1640 and 1645, the parish was created. A modest chapel then a church is erected. This church, rebuilt many times, is still the admiration of visitors today.

On January 16, 1762, the English landed at Case-Pilote and set it on fire. The Colonists take refuge in the fort.

In 1778, Case-Pilote's gun battery was equipped with 3 cannons. Later, this place will become the La Batterie district.

In 1792, the parish priest of Case-Pilote, Father Cairety announced that soldiers from Fort-Royal were coming in the direction of Case-Pilote. The English were then pushed back out of Case Pilote.

In 1837, Case-Pilote officially became a municipality by decree. It included at the time Case-Navire (former name of the municipality of Schœlcher), Bellefontaine and part of Morne-Vert.

On January 11, 1839, around 6:00 a.m. a strong earthquake partially destroyed the church as well as part of the town of the town.

In 1890, Jules Sévère, Victor's brother, became the mayor of the town.

In 1922, the Maniba distillery became a sugar refinery to deal with the contingent law which limited the number of liters of rum that had to be exported.

In 1925 when Saint Just Orville became the mayor of Case Pilote, he had the town's church repaired.

In 1980, the Maniba sugar refinery closed its doors for good.

In 1990, the church tower was restored.

Case-Pilote is today a town that has kept its early cachet with a large square in the heart of the city where there is a statue and around which was erected the church, the town hall and the market.


Fishing is the primary economic activity in the municipality of Case-Pilote. Seafood products have such a place there that a fish processing company is also installed.

The city had no choice but to turn to fishing when the factories there had to close their doors and many plantations were abandoned at the beginning of the 20th century.

Agriculture with some small farms and livestock are also present. It is more market gardening and food crops that are privileged.


The municipality's main districts are Batterie, Case Brûlée, Fond Boucher, Grande Trace, la Démarche, les Abymes, Maniba, Morne Breton, Morne Obély, Plaisance and Tamarin.

List of places to visit in the municipality

Places to visit

The Church of Notre-Dame de l'Assomption, one of the oldest in Martinique, was built between 1640 and 1645.