Rivière-Pilote is the largest municipality in southern Martinique. It is located west of Sainte-Luce and Rivière-Salée, south of Saint-Esprit and east of Vauclin and Marin.

The commune of Rivière Pilote owes its name to the Carib Indian chief named Pilote who sympathized with the French colonists after a cordial welcome. As a sign of recognition, two towns bear his name today, Rivière-Pilote and Case-Pilote.

The inhabitants of Rivière-Pilote are called the Pilotins of the South.

Excavations have proven that the Arawaks had settled on the site of Anse Figuier and that they were dislodged from the place by Carib warriors, the Kalinas.

After the division of land between the French and the Caribbean Indians, Pilote settled in Anse Figuier along the river. They lived there for several years before the Jesuits drove them from the land in 1665. The same year they settled in the south of the island.

6 years later, in 1671, a church was erected as well as a plantation which would form the parish of Sainte Luce. At the time, the current commune of Rivière Pilote as we know it today, was divided between the commune of Sainte Luce and that of Marin.

To conquer the land, settlers settled in the town of the municipality by going up the river. The city then had 12 inhabitants with their families and slaves.

Rivière Pilote was established as a municipality n in 1837. It has always had a tradition of independence and refuge for rebels and escaping slaves (called nèg maron). In September 1870, the Insurrection du sud (Southern Uprising) started from Rivière Pilote.


Rivière-Pilote's economy is essentially geared towards market gardening. Bananas and sugar cane remain in decline despite the presence of the La Mauny distillery, established in the town since 1749.

Fishing is progressing despite the narrow seafront.

Several eco-tourist circuits will be set up in the town allowing tourists to visit the main natural sites and heritage sites of the town.


The municipality's main districts are Anse Figuier, Anse Figuier Rivage, Bas Mangots, Baudelle, Beauregard, Beauregard Cafeiere, Beauregard Sucrière, Bonne Terre, Borel, Canari Casse, Chevalier, Concorde, Coulanges, Croix Godet, Desfarges, Desmartinières, Desruisseaux, En Bellay, En Brie, Escarvaille, Fond Mulâtre, Gervais, Josseaud, l'Escouet, la Beaume, la Débat, la Faveur, la Renée, Lourdes, Lowinsky, Mare Capron, Marianne, Marie Noire, Massonville, Mathurin, Mauny, Mauny Concorde, Mayol, Montplaisir, Morency, Morne Abricot, Morne Escarpe, Morne Honoré, Morne Pavillon, Morne Roches, Morne Vent, Pain Bis, Perrine, Petit Coton, Plat Péyi, Poirier, Pomare, Pont Madeleine, Préfontaine, Ravine Acajou, Ravine Braie, Régale, Régale Renée, Rodalie, Rollin, Saint Pont, Saint Vincent, Vieille Citerne, Vieilles Terres and Vignette.

List of places to visit in the municipality

Distilleries & Rhumeries

La Mauny distillery was founded in 1749. It owes its name to Comte Ferdinand Poulain, Comte de Mauny, who settled in Martinique in the early 18th century.


The Ecomuseum of Martinique was created in 1993 by the Association of Promotion of Martinique and Protection of Popular Arts and Traditions (AMPATP in french).


Located in the town of Rivière-Pilote, Anse Figuier, this beautiful and large shaded beach due to the presence of numerous coconut palms and sea grape trees, offers you clean and clear water.