Sainte Luce

History

Sainte Luce is a town in the south of Martinique. It is located west of Diamant, south of Rivière Salée and east of Rivière Pilote.

Sainte Luce owes its name to Saint Lucia, the Sicilian saint who also gave her name to the island in the south of Martinique.

Sainte Luce was initially called “quartier des Anses Laurens” before becoming a parish in 1665 following the construction of a chapel built by the Jesuits. It was built on the site ceded by the Carib chiefs Pilote and Arlet.

Little by little, three hamlets are formed: Baie du Céron, Trois-Rivières and Anses Laurens. They met before 1671 in the parish of Sainte Luce which was not officially recognized until 1684.

Its limits were then set with the Trois-Rivières and Rivière Pilote as delimitations.

In 1693, the town was set on fire and was reinstalled on the site of the current town of Rivière Pilote.

The center of the parish was not definitively fixed in 1703 when the parishes of Diamant and Rivière Pilote were created.

On several occasions, in 1693, 1794 and 1809, the wars against the English were fierce.

By colonial decree in 1833, the municipality of southern Martinique united Sainte Luce, le Diamant and les Anses d'Arlet. Badly supporting this association, the inhabitants of Sainte-Luce ask for the creation of an independent municipality. Their wish will be granted on June 15, 1848.

In 1870, the town experienced many troubles following the Insurrection du Sud (Southern Uprising) that started in Rivière Pilote.

Economy

If in the past, the town of Sainte Luce was a pole where fishing was the main economic activity today Sainte Luce is more of a seaside resort where tourism is its main activity.

In addition to its magnificent beaches and hotels such as Pierre et Vacances, it also offers a special place to green tourism enthusiasts with the Montravail Forest.

Neighborhoods

The main districts of the municipality are 3 Rivières, Anse Mabouya, Bastopol, Beaulieu, Bellay, Bellevue, Bellevue Ladour, Beola, Bernard, Blanchard, Céron, Corps de Garde, Délivry, Desert, Deville, Epinay, Grand Figue, Gros Raisins, Jacques, la Croix, la Disjonslée, Lavison, les Coteaux, Monésie, Mont Caraïbe, Montravail, Morne des Pères, Oblot, Petit Fond, Trou Au Diable, Vézières, Volcart and Voleau.

List of places to visit in the neighborhoods

Distilleries & Rhumeries

Trois-Rivières is a distillery in the town of Sainte-Luce located in the district of the same name about 5km from the town. The factory is about 600 hectares, including 120 where are cultivated sugarcane alternately with cattle.

Forests

Located in the town of Sainte-Luce approximately 4km from the center, the Montravail forest is a paradise for hike and nature lovers.

Beaches

Anse Desert is next near the Resort Caribia include the Coral Residence, and is frequented mainly by clients of the Resort. Like its siblings of Sainte-Luce, it offers ideal swimming conditions. Its white sand, turquoise water have nothing to envy to other southern beaches.

Anse Fond Banane is a beautiful beach located between the center of Sainte Luce and the Trois Rivières area.

Anse Gros Raisin is the start of a link marked promenade which takes you to Anse Desert.

This beach is very quiet and uncrowded. It is lined with coconut trees throughout its length.

The water is calm, turquoise water and bewitching little hectic.

Anse Mabouyas is lovely beach of Sainte Luce which will not leave you indifferent.

Behind the Trois-Rivieres distillery, it remains uncrowded because of access difficulties to get there. However, it will appeal to those looking for peace and tranquility.

Anse Pont Café is a charming beach that will delight tourists and visitors seeking tranquility.

It is small uncrowded beach that offers swimming conditions comparable to the other beaches of the town.

Corps de Garde is the largest beach of the town, it is also the busiest. It is also the most beautiful beach in the common opinion of the inhabitants of the town. It is located 3 km from the center of Sainte Luce.