Château Dubuc (Dubuc Castle) is an ancient possession of the Dubuc family, a wealthy family from Dieppe in Normandy who had settled in the town of Trinité from the mid 17th century.
Indeed, in 1657, Pierre Dubuc, a Norman, landed in Martinique. To have led to several successful expeditions against the Carib Indians, he received as gift of other settlers, a concession area of Trinité et Tartane where he moved from 1671. There, he will build all his power.
Balthazar, his younger, stood at the Caravelle on Spoutourne Plantation. The latter's son, Louis Dubuc du Galion built a house first called "Habitation Caravelle" that will eventually become the "Château Dubuc".
The plantation was a place of sugar production but also a place for smuggling and trafficking of slaves. Indeed, the existence of warehouses, safes, wharves in this isolated location makes it more likely that the practice of illegal business.
In 1770, the Château Dubuc was gradually abandoned after the devastating cyclone of 1766 and the mismanagement resulting from the participation of the Dubuc family in various battles against the English.
Today, the castle is in ruins and is part of the nature reserve managed by the Parc Naturel Regional. As such, it is a very secure site. Château Dubuc is a historical monument since 1991. It is one of the most visited sites in Martinique. In addition to the ruins of the Castle, a micro-museum traces the history of this place with a troubled past.